Volunteering Background Checks
Required for Bowie and Richardson ISD
If you wish to volunteer in the Richardson ISD and at Bowie Elementary for the 2018- 2019 school year, you must signup for a background check using the process outlined below. You must resubmit this every year. You may begin this process starting July 1, 2018.
1. Go to the RISD Volunteer Opportunities website (http://www.risd.org/group/community/VolunteerOpportunities.html). Select the English or Spanish form.
2. The form will ask you for information so RISD may perform a criminal background check. You must provide: date of birth, name, gender, address, telephone number, driverʼs license or state-issued ID number, desired school(s), and emergency contact information.
3. You will be able to select schools for volunteer opportunities, including “Any RISD School.” If you do not select Bowie, you will not appear on Bowieʼs volunteer list. According to the Bowie office it is their understanding that if we do NOT specify a specific school it will NOT show up on that schools list. It will be on the districts main list but not Bowie's list. So please select "Bowie" as well as "Any RISD School" if you would like to help with opportunities outside of Bowie such as Clothes closet, Used Book Fair, etc.
4. When the online application is completed, you will be directed to a confirmation page. If you are NOT directed to this page, then you should scroll back on the application to look for a message that indicates a problem with the data you have entered (or not entered).
5. RISDʼs Human Resources department will submit your information to Safe School for processing the criminal background check. It takes several business days from the submission of your online application before you are cleared to volunteer in RISD.
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS FOR LIBRARY VOLUNTEERS
RISD policies require all library volunteers to annually:
• complete a RISD Volunteer application and background check as referenced above
• read, agree to, and sign the Library Volunteer Notice of Student Information Confidentiality form;
• and, watch this 3 1/2 minute video reviewing the Confidentiality form.
Once you have agreed to and signed the Confidentiality form, please return it to Ms. Harker, Bowie’s librarian. She will also answer any questions you may have.
Only volunteers who have completed the annual background check and Confidentiality form will be able to assist in the Bowie library.
Thank you for following these procedures; and thank you for volunteering in our school library! You help make our library an exciting and vibrant learning environment for our students!